Q. What is CSEAP?

A. The Colorado State Employee Assistance Program (CSEAP) is a benefit provided to State of Colorado employees. CSEAP offers professional assessment, referral, and short-term counseling services to address both personal and work-related concerns. CSEAP is also a resource for supervisors and managers seeking individual managerial consultation, work group organizational development, assistance with conflict resolution, or help in addressing workplace critical incidents (traumatic events).

Q. Who can use CSEAP?

A. All active State of Colorado employees receiving a State of Colorado paycheck are eligible for CSEAP services.

Q. Will anybody know I'm coming to CSEAP for counseling?

A. Counseling services are strictly confidential. CSEAP does not disclose information about counseling provided to you without your signed written consent except in rare situations in which the law requires mandatory reporting due to serious safety concerns.

Q. Can I refer an employee to CSEAP?

A. If you are a supervisor, please call our main number (303) 866-4314 or (800)821-8154 and schedule a consultation with an EAP Specialist about your concerns. During this Workplace Consultation, the EAP Specialist will help determine the best route for referral. If you're an employee and would like to refer a coworker, provide them with the CSEAP phone number and/or website so that they may choose to contact us at a time appropriate for them.

Q. Can I schedule an appointment after hours?

A. CSEAP appointments are offered between the hours of 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday. These hours may vary based upon office location. If you are concerned about your safety or wellbeing or that of someone else, call 911 or report to your nearest emergency room if the situation is life-threatening, for 24-hour mental health support, call Colorado Crisis Services at 1-844-493-8255.

Q. Do I have to use a CSEAP counselor?

A. CSEAP services are offered to you as a free benefit of your employment with the State of Colorado. Your participation in counseling services is voluntary. If you have a specific need or prefer a specific counselor in your community, contact your insurance provider to discuss your benefit and whether it covers use of your preferred counselor. CSEAP does NOT pay for any costs incurred by you when/if you choose to use a private counselor or any other mental health, physical health, or professional services.

Q. How do I use CSEAP?

A. Call CSEAP anytime between 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday to request an intake. Please plan to talk with an Intake Coordinator for 5 to 10 minutes in order to provide general information and to schedule an appointment with a mental health counselor. If you contact us after 5pm, you will be directed to leave a message (to schedule an appointment) or to contact Colorado Crisis Services, 911, or your local emergency room.

Q. What if my supervisor refers me to CSEAP?

A. Your supervisor may suggest that you contact CSEAP for services. Even if you are referred by a supervisor, your confidentiality remains protected by law unless your provide written permission to CSEAP to release information. Counseling services are always voluntary. Supervisors, at times, may require an employee to participate in other CSEAP services.

Q. Where can I access my counseling sessions?

A. CSEAP is currently meeting with all clients via video, phone, or in-person. If you attend an in-person appointment, you must comply with mask and safety mandates of the office building in which you are attending your appointment. 

When you call our main office 303-866-4314 or 1-800-821-8154 to schedule your initial appointment, you may request one of the following CSEAP locations:

  • Downtown Denver
  • Grand Junction
  • Colorado Springs
  • Teletherapy - Available Statewide

Q. What if I live or work out-of-state?

A. CSEAP counselors are only licensed to practice in the State of Colorado. You must be located in Colorado in order for counseling services to be provided to you by your CSEAP provider.