Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question but do not see it here, contact our Intake Specialist directly at 303-866-4314. 

Common Questions

Click on a question below to view its answer. 


The Colorado State Employee Assistance Program (CSEAP) is a benefit provided to State of Colorado employees. CSEAP offers professional assessment, referral, and short-term counseling services to address both personal and work-related concerns. CSEAP is also a resource for supervisors and managers seeking individual managerial consultation, work group organizational development, assistance with conflict resolution, or help in addressing workplace critical incidents (traumatic events).

All active State of Colorado employees receiving a State of Colorado paycheck are eligible for CSEAP services.

Counseling services are strictly confidential. CSEAP does not disclose information about counseling provided to you without your signed written consent except in rare situations in which the law requires mandatory reporting due to serious safety concerns.

If you are a supervisor, please call our main number (303) 866-4314 or (800)821-8154 and schedule a consultation with an EAP Specialist about your concerns. During this Workplace Consultation, the EAP Specialist will help determine the best route for referral. If you're an employee and would like to refer a coworker, provide them with the CSEAP phone number and/or website so that they may choose to contact us at a time appropriate for them.

CSEAP appointments are offered between the hours of 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday. These hours may vary based upon office location. If you are concerned about your safety or wellbeing or that of someone else, call 911 or report to your nearest emergency room if the situation is life-threatening, for 24-hour mental health support, call Colorado Crisis Services at 1-844-493-8255.

CSEAP services are offered to you as a free benefit of your employment with the State of Colorado. Your participation in counseling services is voluntary. If you have a specific need or prefer a specific counselor in your community, contact your insurance provider to discuss your benefit and whether it covers use of your preferred counselor. CSEAP does NOT pay for any costs incurred by you when/if you choose to use a private counselor or any other mental health, physical health, or professional services.

Call CSEAP anytime between 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday to request an intake. Please plan to talk with an Intake Coordinator for 5 to 10 minutes in order to provide general information and to schedule an appointment with a mental health counselor. If you contact us after 5pm, you will be directed to leave a message (to schedule an appointment) or to contact Colorado Crisis Services, 911, or your local emergency room.

Your supervisor may suggest that you contact CSEAP for services. Even if you are referred by a supervisor, your confidentiality remains protected by law unless your provide written permission to CSEAP to release information. Counseling services are always voluntary. Supervisors, at times, may require an employee to participate in other CSEAP services.

CSEAP is currently meeting with all clients via video, phone, or in-person. If you attend an in-person appointment, you must comply with mask and safety mandates of the office building in which you are attending your appointment.

When you call our main office 303-866-4314 or 1-800-821-8154 to schedule your initial appointment, you may request one of the following CSEAP locations:

Downtown Denver
Grand Junction
Colorado Springs
Teletherapy - Available Statewide

CSEAP counselors are only licensed to practice in the State of Colorado. You must be located in Colorado in order for counseling services to be provided to you by your CSEAP provider. 

The CSEAP program is staffed with licensed therapists. CSEAP schedules you with one of our employed therapists for counseling services. If you have a therapist that you enjoy working with, please inquire with your health insurance provider (Cigna, Kaiser, Anthem, etc.) regarding whether your therapist qualifies for reimbursement and to find out which therapists are part of their network. 

Per state statute, CSEAP is able to serve state employees. With the understanding that the most beneficial way to support employees may be to include family members or someone with which they are in a close or intimate relationship, CSEAP is able to include such parties in family or individual counseling sessions. State employees have access to CSEAP individual counseling, family counseling, or couple sessions. If choosing family or couple services, the state employee must be an active recipient of these services as well. 

CSEAP does not accept payment for counseling services. If we are reaching the close (8th session) of our relationship with you, we'll work with you to identify other supportive resources. At their discretion, your counselor may also extend an additional session following your 8th session. In addition, if you have an urgent need for a single session prior to your rolling year renewing, please call our intake office - we'll work to schedule you with an available counselor. Upon the renewal of your rolling year, you may and request a previous CSEAP counselor as desired. Please note that some counselors may not be accepting new or returning counseling clients - this is largely determined by workload and caseloads. Many studies support the efficacy of brief short-term psychotherapy; please talk with your CSEAP counselor if you have questions, concerns, or are seeking referrals for longer term therapy.